PREP TIME 20 MINS
COOKING TIME 45 MINS
- 1 tbs extra virgin olive oil
- 1 leek, halved and cut into 0.5cm pieces
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 celery stalk, cut into 0.5cm pieces
- 2 carrots, peeled and cut into 0.5cm pieces
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 sprig of thyme
- 110g pearl barley
- 75ml white wine
- 1.5L roast vegetable or chicken stock
- 1 zucchini, halved and cut into 0.5cm pieces
- 1 bunch asparagus, trimmed into 3-4cm lengths
- Salt and reshly cracked pepper to taste
- Chives, finely chopped, to garnish
Heat the oil in a pan and add leek, garlic, celery and carrot. Cook over a medium heat for about 5 minutes.
Stir in the bay leaves, thyme, pearl barley, white wine and stock. Bring to a simmer and cook for about 40 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender and the pearl barley is soft.
Add the zucchini and asparagus and cook for further 2–3 minutes.
Remove the bay leaves and thyme before serving, sprinkle over chives and season to taste.
Barley is high in soluble fibre, which can help to lower cholestrol.
Click below to find more delicious recipes in our latest edition of Chapter Magazine.