This recipe is quick and easy dish to prepare and cook that has wonderful flavours.
The soft creamy polenta with the grilled chicken are a great combination of not only textures but essential protein and nutrients we need in our diets daily. Polenta is cooked cornmeal that can be eaten as a side or used in a variety of recipes, from bread to desserts. It is a versatile food that can be served chilled or warm.
- 2 chicken breast fillets
- 1 cup polenta
- 3 cups of vegetable stock/water
- 25g Parmesan cheese
- 40g of butter
- 150g green beans, topped and tailed
- 30 - 40g bacon
- 2tbs olive oil
- Lemon juice and olive oil, to garnish
1. Add vegetable stock, milk, salt and pepper to a saucepan, over high heat, bring to a boil. Gradually add your polenta while you constantly wisk to ensure a smooth consistency with no lumps. Wisk for 4 – 5 minutes until thickened. Once boiling hard, turn down heat and cook for an additional 10 – 15 minutes. Place to the side.
2. After your polenta has cooked, wisk in butter and parmesan cheese.
3. Season chicken fillets with olive oil, salt and pepper. Place on a hot grill 4-5 minutes on each side. Place to the side and rest.
4. Blanch your beans in boiling water, after straining, in a heavy based pan, over medium-high heat, add butter, bacon and blanched beans. Cook until bacon is crispy. Set to the side.
Spoon creamy polenta onto plate, top with chicken, add your side of crispy bacon and green beans.
Top chicken with a squeeze of lemon juice and drizzle with olive oil.
Chicken, polenta, beans, and bacon is a great source of good quality protein, it meets the protein needs for any one meal. The recipe for polenta contains some Parmesan cheese and that's a really rich source of calcium. When you add bread and a side salad, it really boosts the fibre in the meal it also adds more antioxidants and vitamin C.
So all around, grilled chicken and creamy polenta is a really great option. It provides fibre, calcium, protein, and antioxidants.
Nutrition by Julie Dundon, AdvAPD Dietitian
NPA is a company of nutritionists and dietitians that give people the knowledge they need to make better food choices. For over 25 years the company has advised partners in the aged care and retirement industries throughout Australia by setting and auditing standards, as well as providing education to a range of different audiences.
Recipe by John Casey, Professional Chef
John is a professional chef with over 30 years experience in highly awarded restaurant kitchens all around the world. His most recent experience in the retirement and aged care industry has allowed John to take his food preparation knowledge and apply it to improving the health of older Australians through improved food quality and age-appropriate nutrition.