Last updated: 26 March 2020
At Aveo, the health and safety of our residents and staff in our Retirement Communities, Residential Aged Care Facilities and Freedom Care Communities is our number one priority.
We are closely monitoring the World Health Organisation and the Australian Government’s advice around COVID-19 and have taken decisive and comprehensive steps in accordance with this advice to protect our residents.
Visits to our communities
We understand how important it is for residents to stay connected with loved ones, particularly during this difficult time. However, due to the increasing threat to older Australians and in line with advice from the Department of Health, we have had to reassess our processes for visitors. This is to ensure that we are protecting our residents, our staff and our visitors.
• Restricted access to our Residential Aged Care Facilities.
• Advised all family and friends not to visit our Freedom Care Communities to ensure we have the best chance of preventing an outbreak of COVID-19. Third-party providers are also subject to these restricted access precautions unless they are providing critical services to the community.
• Closed all community facilities across our 94 communities, including community centres, dining rooms and restaurants. This is in response to the Australian Government’s restrictions on activities and venues, announced on the 24 March. In-home dining and a take-away service is now operating.
• Implemented an enhanced registration process for all visitors to our Serviced Apartments, including registration and specific questions.
• Implemented an enhanced registration process for all visitors to our Independent Living communities, including registration and specific questions.
• Implemented procedures regarding self-isolation of residents and staff, as required and depending on their COVID-19 risk profile.
We also ask that you refrain from visiting our communities if:
• You have returned from overseas in the last 14 days.
• Have had contact with someone who has tested positively for COVID-19.
• You experience any of the symptoms associated with COVID-19, including:
- Runny nose;
- Shortness of breath and/or rapid breathing;
- Sore throat;
- Fever; and
If you are experiencing these symptoms, please contact your local GP.
We regretfully have decreased the number of external groups visiting our independent living communities for social activities and events. We apologise for any inconvenience this may have caused.
Staff and resident travel
In accordance with Australian Department of Health advice, we are monitoring all staff and residents planning, or returning from, international travel and adhering to self-isolation protocols. We have also restricted travel for Aveo staff between our communities.
Internal education and procedures
We are continuing to educate residents, visitors and staff on infection control, outbreak management and COVID-19 in accordance with advice from the Australian Department of Health and local Public Health Units. We are also in the process of reviewing and enhancing our existing infection control framework, liaising with other aged care and healthcare operators to ensure alignment of measures and sharing of lessons learnt.
If you have any questions or concerns, our customer service centre is available on 13 28 36.
For further information, please visit the below websites:
• Department of Health - https://www.health.gov.au/news/health-alerts/novel-coronavirus-2019-ncov-health-alert
Residential and Aged Care Workers - https://www.health.gov.au/resources/publications/coronavirus-covid-19-information-for-health-care-and-residential-care-workers
• Aged Care Residents and their Families - https://www.health.gov.au/resources/collections/novel-coronavirus-2019-ncov-resources#for-aged-care-residents-and-families
• Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (Smart Traveller) - https://www.smartraveller.gov.au/