Situated in Reynella and overlooking Happy Valley, the majestic Braes Homestead was built for Dr Louis Joseph Maurau, a Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons and Wardens of Christ Church O’Halloran Hill, after he purchase the land in 1865.
The quintessentially Australian and now Heritage Listed homestead was completed around the same time the area was becoming South Australia’s first commercial vineyard. Between 1865 and 1984, The Braes housed a range of residents including farmers, a pastoralist, a football coach, and a former Miss South Australia. The property ceased to be a private residence in 1984 when it was purchased by Norris Hospitals and Tregloan and Partners, and became a popular retirement village.
Today, the main building remains impressively sited and substantially original. Impeccably restored to its former glory, the homestead now serves as the village’s inviting community centre where residents come to relax and socialise.