A great tasty breakfast is the best way to start the day. Our recipe for Bircher Muesli ticks all of the right boxes for an easy and healthy choice with lots of options to adapt the recipe according to your own personal taste. This muesli is high in fibre so important for good bowel function and lowering cholesterol. It is low glycemic index, meaning that this muesli should give you sustained energy right through your busy morning and is a great option for people with diabetes. The antioxidants in the berries also contain important disease-fighting compounds.
Store in fridge for up to 3 days in a sealed container.
- 150g rolled oats
- 20g almond flakes
- 25g golden sultanas
- 50g grated apple
- 25g goji berries
- 200ml apple juice
- Pinch of cinnamon
- 200g natural /flavoured yoghurt
- Extra almonds, blueberries and strawberries as garnish (optional)
Coarsely grate the apple. Mix the grated apple, rolled oats, apple juice, sultanas, goji berries, yoghurt and cinnamon in a bowl until well combined. Cover and place in the fridge for 3-4 hours or overnight.
Combine extra almonds, blueberries and sliced strawberries and sprinkle on top. (If the muesli has been soaking overnight, you may wish to add a little extra yoghurt before topping with almonds and berries).
- Use milk instead of apple juice to increase the protein and calcium levels.
- Add more nuts to increase your healthy fats.
- Use a variety of fresh fruits either in the mix or added on top of the muesli.