The perfect way to start your day!
- 150g rolled oats
- 20g flaked almonds
- 25g golden sultanas
- 50g grated apple
- 25g goji berries
- 200ml apple juice
- Pinch of cinnamon
- 200g natural or flavoured yoghurt
- Coarsely grate the apple. Mix the grated apple, rolled oats, apple juice, sultanas, goji berries, yoghurt and cinnamon in a bowl until well combined. Cover and place in the fridge for 3-4 hours or overnight.
- If the muesli has been soaking overnight, add a little extra yoghurt, only as desired. Top with the almonds and serve.
- Use milk instead of juice to increase your protein and calcium levels.
- Add more nuts to increase your healthy fats.
- Use a variety of fresh fruits either in the mix or added on top of the muesli.
This muesli is high in fibre which is important for good bowel function and the soluble fibre in the rolled oats can help lower your cholesterol.
It has a low glycaemic index, meaning that it will provide you with sustained energy right through your busy morning. It’s also a great option for people with diabetes.
The antioxidants in the berries are also important disease-fighting compounds. Scientists believe they help prevent and repair the stress that comes from oxidation, a natural process that occurs during normal cell function.
And don’t forget the calcium, which is needed for strong bones. Calcium, combined with vitamin D has a role in the prevention of osteoporosis (or brittle bones).
A breakfast of white toast and butter provides less fibre and does not have the variety of vitamins and minerals that can promote good health. You are also more likely to run out of energy halfway through the morning and munch on other unhealthy snacks.
Our bircher muesli recipe is power-packed with nutrition and will give you the health boost you need at the beginning of every day. It can help you feel fuller for longer, making it easier to choose other healthy options later in the day.